Job Summary: Job ID: 6617 – Unclassified – FT
The Senior Director of Development, College of Engineering and Computing will help advance the mission of Miami University by managing the College of Engineering and Computing efforts in planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal involvement and financial commitment of donors and prospects to Miami University. This position will also be instrumental in developing and establishing new partnerships and strengthen existing relationships with corporate and foundation partners.
Miami University is a public university founded in 1809 with over 200,000 alumni and 20,000 enrolled students. These students major in over a 120 different fields of study. With its close proximity to the city of Cincinnati coupled with a nationally recognized excellence in undergraduate education there is a significant opportunity to increase all measures of support from alumni, friends, and corporate and foundation partners. As the university looks to embark upon its next comprehensive campaign, a robust and high functioning development team will play a critical role in the success of that effort.
The College of Engineering and Computing (CEC) has seen unprecedented growth in its student population in the past decade. CEC has grown from 799 students in the fall of 2007 to over 2,150 students in the fall of 2018. U.S. News and World report of America’s Best Colleges ranks Miami’s engineering program in the category of “Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs where the highest degree is a bachelor’s or masters”. There are approximately 250 institutions in this category.
- Work closely with the Dean, administrators, faculty and staff to develop a deep understanding of the strategic areas of importance and secure financial commitments from individual prospects in addition to corporate and foundation partners.
- Build and manage a portfolio of approximately 50 prospects for the college.
- Develop and implement assessment, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for assigned prospects with the Office of Development staff, and university faculty and administrators.
- Prepare and present gift proposals to prospects with the input and assistance of faculty, administrators, and deans, as well as other constituent and central development officers. Proposals may involve establishing multi-year commitments, as well as helping to facilitate gifts of real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities and insurance.
- Coordinates with Corporate and Foundation Development team to ensure CEC is included in appropriate Miami University proposals from corporations and foundations.
- Oversee the hiring, evaluation, and management of the College of Engineering and Computing development team.
- Encourage and coordinate involvement of alumni and friends through campus visits and regional events.
- Provides stewardship assistance for individual and corporate/foundation gifts to CEC.
- Perform other duties related to the mission of the Office of Development under the guidance of the Senior Associate Vice President for University Advancement.
Bachelor’s degree, minimum of five years of experience in development or fundraising, or comparable work experience; significant and established experience successfully managing individuals and teams; proven leadership techniques; outstanding oral and written communication skills; excellent organization skills and attention to detail; commitment to collaborative approach to fundraising; willingness to travel extensively both on a regional and national level and the ability to attend as scheduled evening and weekend events.
Advanced degree; experience working in education setting.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free.