Coffee & Conversation
May 21, 2014
Topic: From Vicious to Virtuous: The U.S. Economic Cycle Turns
- U.S. economic growth is accelerating. After years in which surprises were only to the downside, there is more potential for positive surprises than negative.
- The U.S. growth prospects are improving because several key vicious cycles have turned to self-reinforcing positive cycles.
- Interest rates will rise, inflation is about to reach noticeable levels, but bond yields will rise only gradually.
- Despite a rosy outlook, we must recognize the damage of the past decade to the U.S. growth engine.
- Potential negatives should not overshadow the potential positives: a transformation in energy and related transportation (natural gas vehicles), the 3rd industrial revolution with 3D printer technology, robotics.
Presenter: Jeff Korzenik
Jeff Korzenik is chief investment strategist for Fifth Third Bank, where he is responsible for the Bank’s overall client investment strategy. A 27-year industry veteran, Korzenik’s background includes research and management roles at some of the country’s largest investment firms. He has held positions in London, Chicago, New York and Boston. Korzenik’s writings on economics and public policy have been published in The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, Forbes and other periodicals. He has been quoted in major industry publications including Barron’s, The Wall Street Journal and BusinessWeek. He is a frequent guest on CNBC’s “Closing Bell” program, and has also appeared on Bloomberg, FOX and regional television and radio. Korzenik was invited to testify on Capitol Hill as an expert witness on the use of commodity indexes by pensions and other institutional investors. Mr. Korzenik earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and a Certificate of Proficiency in Near Eastern Studies from Princeton University in Princeton, N.J.
Sponsors: The Fifth Third Foundation
Special Thanks to Program Host: Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park
WHAT: Conversation & Coffee
WHEN: Wednesday, May 21, 2014
TIME: 7:30-9:00 a.m.
WHERE: The Playhouse in the Park, Eden Park, Cincinnati, Ohio
WHO: GCPGC members and guests
Cost: Free for all attendees, thanks to our sponsor, The Fifth Third Foundation.
Members of the 2014 Conversation and Coffee Committee are Heather Dare of Fifth Third Bank, Mindy Hammer of the Free Store/Food Bank, Jeff Lydenberg of PG Calc and Jonathan Perlman of the Cincinnati Museum Center. For more information on upcoming Conversations and Coffee programs, please visit the Greater Cincinnati Planned Giving Council website at http://www.gcpgc.org.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR: Conversation and Coffee is hosted at the Playhouse in the Park and is always the 3rd Wednesday morning of each month.