- Do you have a passion to transform people and places through art investment?
- Are you curious, bold, and believe art should represent and include all?
- Do you like to champion projects from beginning to end through partnerships?
- Are you a team-player, hard-working and an independent achiever with a “can do” attitude who is comfortable in a fast-paced, creative environment?
If so, we want to speak to you about this exciting opportunity!
ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that transforms people and places through investments in creativity. The organization creates jobs for youth, ages 14-21 with the majority from underserved households, providing competitive 21st-century career-readiness skills through mentorship by professional artists. Since 1996, ArtWorks has employed more than 3,600 youth and 3,200 creative professionals, and the organization has completed more than 12,500 public and private art projects that include 190 permanent outdoor murals, contributing to the region’s global reputation as an arts destination.
ArtWorks is an equal opportunity employer. We are strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team that creates an inclusive workplace which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission.
ArtWorks is seeking a Senior Director of Development to lead strategy, planning and execution for effective fundraising activities that advances our mission to transform people and places through investments in creativity. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a collaborative and forward-thinking team of staff and board members to build institutional strength and capacity through pioneering fundraising and earned revenue models generating $2MM+ annually. This position serves as a senior leader of ArtWorks staff and is responsible for leading the Development department including staff, volunteers and board committee. This position is responsible for strategic planning, oversight, evaluation and innovation of all fundraising activities, programs, projects, initiatives, and events. Consistent engagement and outreach efforts will be required to build our development portfolio, while also maintaining a high degree of interaction with existing donor and grantor relationships. This role has a tremendous impact on artists, youth apprentices and community. This is a strategic relationship-focused, alumni- and donor-centric, collaborative, ethical, and results-oriented position. ArtWorks is committed to excellence. We challenge ourselves and each other to strive toward higher levels of achievement.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as part of ArtWorks’ leadership team collaborating closely with Board of Directors, Development Committee, Executive Leaders, Directors, Staff and Volunteers
- Manage, recruit and train Development Staff to accomplish department goals
- Develop, ensure successful implementation of development plan with the highest ethical standards
- Monitor trends in the community and sector to adapt fundraising strategies as necessary; maintain professional fundraising networks for continued learning
- Foster a culture of philanthropy within the organization; coach board and staff on best practices
- Serve as an ambassador of the organization to donors, attending the organization’s events and cultivation meetings; build key relationships with community leaders and stakeholders
- Create and deliver compelling presentations to help elevate awareness of ArtWorks among key audiences
- Create and collaborate with Finance for an annual revenue budget with supporting strategies and 3-year revenue target. Work with organization’s leaders to set and support ArtWorks’ strategic priorities
- Lead new revenue initiatives for the organization, including planned giving and capital campaign
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities and present regular progress reports
- Design and implement engagement strategies to maximize relationships with existing and new donors
- Develop plans to identify, cultivate, solicit, secure and steward gifts; determine and deliver donor benefits
- Develop and manage the annual calendar of fundraising campaigns, events and activities including Events, Corporate sponsorships, Major Gifts, Planned-giving, Mural Tours, Crowdfunding, etc.
- Management of annual $1MM+ grant strategy, including grant writing.
- Lead identification and cultivation of corporate partners and individual prospects with major gift capacity
- Oversee the management of Salesforce to improve pipeline development
- Ensure timely and accurate donor gift acknowledgment and recognition benefits
- Oversee strategy to secure and recognize in-kind donations
- Collaborate with internal team to maximize public awareness and engagement in fundraising activities
- Collaborate with Communications & Marketing for campaign collateral materials
Qualifications and Experience:
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required in arts administration, business, or another related field
- Minimum 5 – 7 years of professional fundraising experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated track-record of securing major gifts ($15,000+)
- Successful track record of managing and developing employees
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships with diverse groups externally and internally
- Experience managing budgets, assigning, and monitoring work, and developing departmental plans in alignment with organizational strategy
- Experience in strategic planning, assessment and evaluation and innovation in fundraising sector
- Some knowledge of the arts and ideally of Cincinnati arts organizations
- Must be willing and able to attend evening and weekend arts or community events
Skills and Characteristics:
- Outstanding verbal and written presentation and communication skills, including an ability to explain data and technical issues to people with varying levels of expertise
- Ability to manage time well, particularly while managing competing priorities
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce as well as proficiency with digital grantmaking databases, research tools and information management systems
- Ability to interact confidently and persuasively with leaders in business, individuals and foundations
- Sophisticated user and interpreter of data; ability to synthesize and analyze data to tell an impact story
- Curious about facts and trends; a continuous learner
- Balance big picture strategy and manage detailed execution with high degree of accountability and excellence in quality of work
- Agile leader with strong interpersonal and culture-building skills to help guide and influence organizational growth; building strong positive working relationships both internally and externally
- Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices; ensure team behavior is consistent with these standards
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet and exceed their expectations
- Foster teamwork; work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, solve problems and make decisions that improve organizational effectiveness and drive results
- Assesses situations to determine priority, urgency and risks and make clear recommendations and/or decisions that are timely and in the best interest of the organization
- Sets priorities, develops work plans and schedules, monitors and reports progress
- Flexible, inquisitive, creative, entrepreneurial, optimistic
Salary Range: $65,000 to $80,000
To Apply: If you are ready to join a creative team committed to making our community a better place to live, apply today. Please submit cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to Maddie@artworkscincinnati.org. Applications accepted until job is filled.