Reporting to the Director, Reporting and Analytics, the Senior Data Analytics Consultant provides fundraising data analysis and reporting services for the executive leadership team of the Development arm of the Office of Advancement.
The Sr. Data Analytics Consultant will be primarily responsible for the development and implementation of measurement and analytics strategies designed to ensure appropriate operational models; to monitor and evaluate applicable metrics to compare and analyze data to support strategic fundraising decisions and process improvement; to ensure communication with senior leadership and synthesize data into useful and insightful information; and to write and automate tools and scripts to increase efficiency and reduce manual efforts.
The Sr. Data Analytics Consultant will design and build data visualizations using diverse data sets and will be instrumental in developing and translating analysis, data modeling and ad hoc decision support to fulfill the needs of the development organization. This includes data analysis and reporting to enhance operational efficiency, encouraging data driven decisions and promoting a higher level of data consumption as well as best practices to improve services and processes of strategic importance to the Development team.
Provides significant data analysis using both descriptive and predictive statistical analysis expertise for the Development leadership team. This work includes, but is not limited to, responsibility for the ongoing design and maintenance of monthly Development performance reports and the fundraising dashboard. It further includes conducting significant data analysis and data mining required to understand the results found and communication of insights to leadership.
This work is accomplished using visual query tools, custom built standard outputs, Microsoft SQL Reporting Services tools, data analysis tools like SPSS or Excel and Tableau.
The Senior Data Analytics Consultant must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, including excellent customer relationship skill sets with the ability to communicate technical concepts in non-technical business terms, be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have the ability to balance competing priorities, manage multiple concurrent projects, identify problems and anticipate needs, resolve data problems, create and maintain documentation for processes, exceptions, and decision making criteria for projects and ongoing processes and is expected to exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills and behaviors associated with the Office of Advancement’s core competencies: Leadership, Continuous Improvement, Teamwork and Collaboration, and Communication / Interpersonal Effectiveness.
Data Analysis and Data Mining
- Uses statistical methods to analyze fundraising data to identify statistically significant patterns and trends that generate actionable insights
- Provides high-confidence-level forecasts that allow the business to make informed decisions
- Performs analysis and interpretation of data to demonstrate fundraising outcomes, within specified timeframes and frequencies
- Prepares and presents reports and recommendations for the leadership team in a manner that is understandable by non-technical and/or non-statistical staff
- Partners with other teams and provides data as needed to produce reports/analysis
Creates Reports, Dashboards and Scorecards
- Gathers requirements, creates queries, builds reports and dashboards that integrate multiple sources of data, identify actionable insights and conclusions, and translate complex results into simple visualizations that will empower department leaders to take decisive action
- Develops trend analysis reports that monitor key performance indicators and compares them to internal and external benchmarks and uses this data to assist leadership in decision-making, planning and implementing performance improvement strategies
- Analyzes report results with a focus on explaining changes, inconsistencies and any patters that are identified
Subject Matter Expertise
- Works collaboratively with Development leadership to understand and design analytical approaches to open-ended strategic business problems and communicates the findings to key stakeholders through reports, presentations, storytelling and thoughtful discussion
- Collaborates with the Development leadership team in order to identify trends and opportunities to improve and maximize fundraising revenue
- Serves as a technical and educational resource to others on fundraising data and benchmarks, modeling, data acquisition and rapid analysis for insight generation
- Develops strong internal relationships with development leadership to assess challenges and opportunities and evangelizes new ideas and insights
- Collaborates with leadership, end users, IT and other stakeholders to make recommendations and integrate data discoveries and processes into operational capabilities
- Develops presentations to summarize and communicate key messages from complex analyses to senior management, sponsors and colleagues in a succinct, straightforward, easily understood manner
- Works independently and collaboratively within the team to achieve the desired outcomes of an analytical project;
- Actively contributes to the continuous learning mindset of the organization by bringing in new ideas and perspectives that stretch the thinking of the group
- Educates decision-makers to use our data assets more effectively through new tools and techniques
- Becomes a subject matter expert and trusted advisor in the fundraising analytics discipline
- Be regarded as a strategic thought leader and practical solution implementer
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Analytics, Statistics, Applied Math, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or Management Information Systems, Marketing, Psychology or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a data analyst role
- Experience with enterprise reporting tools
- Three years of experience using SQL with preference to Microsoft T-SQL
- 5 years of experience using Microsoft’s business intelligence suite or something comparable
- 2 years of experience conducting forecasting models
- 3 years of experience with statistical analysis using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, R, SAS etc)
- 3 years of experience visualizing and presenting data for stakeholders using advanced data visualization tools like Tableau, D3 or ggplot, etc.
- 2 years’ experience building dashboards
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Business, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Mathematics or other quantitative disciplines
- Experience in the non-profit fundraising space
- Familiarity with statistical algorithms such as linear and logistic regression, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- 2 years of project management/consulting experience
- Experience working in an Agile SCRUM environment
In accordance with the Disaster Preparedness and University State of Emergency Policy 6.17 this position has been designated as an essential position.
To apply, please visit https://osujoblinks.com/kwxt. Also, please visit http://advancement.osu.edu/ to learn more about the Ohio State University Office of Advancement.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.