Position: Finance Director | Reports to: Provincial Treasurer
Total Local Employees: 11 Direct Reports: 0
Location: Anderson Township/Cincinnati, Ohio
Status: Full-time Exempt
About Comboni Missionaries – North American Province
The Comboni Missionaries is an international Catholic organization dedicated to ministering to the world’s poorest and most abandoned people, often working in unstable political climates, in the midst of extreme poverty. In the North American Province (NAP), we minister to minority communities in various dioceses, while also supporting our oversees missions.
The finance director will manage the accounting, budget, operations, and program support for the organization. While they will not have direct reports, they will manage the business affairs for the North American Province of this international faith-based mission. The finance director must understand and respect the tenets of Catholicism and the Comboni Missionaries values of justice and peace.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Manage all financial assets connected to the organization – cash, investments, real estate, and vehicles, as well as purchase/manage all insurance products for NAP.
- Serve as the main contact for all financial, legal, and insurance matters and implement any necessary actions.
- Prepare all necessary and requested financial reports for the organization’s councils (provincial, finance, and general in Italy) and church authorities.
- In collaboration with relevant staff and council members, ensure an annual, balanced operating budget.
- Lead the annual audited financial statement process; collaborate with the external auditor, staff, and council to ensure it is completed in a timely manner with proper council approvals.
- Manage, monitor, and partner with council and investment managers to ensure a maximum return on investments and cash flow requirements; reconcile all bank and investment statements and supervise the processing of all contributions so they are deposited in the appropriate account in alignment with NAP policies.
- Ensure that all funds held by the NAP are accounted for in the proper manner by accurately processing revenues and expenses on a monthly basis; process all changes to the funds; maintain fund status in the database and report all fund information as needed.
- Responsible for the preparation and execution of all fund statements.
Operations & Staff Collaboration
- Serve as an integral part of the Comboni Cincinnati team through collaboration, team work, and assisting others as needed; this will include event execution in a finance director role and administrative tasks.
- Interact with volunteers and donors and ensure that all feel welcome, appreciated, and supported.
- Once policies and procedures are developed by the provincial council, ensure they are enacted and enforced throughout the team; recommend any changes or adjustments to said policies.
- Maintain internal control systems to promote transparency, accuracy of financial records, rapid identification of errors and proper segmentation of duties; confer with external auditors when needed.
- Manage the entire credit card process: order, disputed charges, investigate potential fraud.
- Nurture and grow relationships and partnerships with the finance council (internal) and the international Comboni community.
- Collaborate with the mission office director to manage the financial assets of said office.
- Support the NAP communities and be their point of contact for local treasurers (six locations in US and Canada), technical support of their financial responsibility, legal matters, property management, banking, record keeping, reporting and any other task identified.
- Serve as the liaison for the finance advisory committee (external) and finance council; facilitate quarterly meetings with appropriate committees, missionaries, and lay persons.
- Chair the quarterly meetings of the finance council, which is comprised of missionaries and lay staff.
- Participate in myriad financial meetings at the institute and continental levels with required domestic (estimated three trips per year) and international travel (once every six years).
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting or related field and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience with fund accounting and familiarity with Peachtree (general ledger program), MS Word, MS Excel and standard office software.
- Working knowledge of GAAP and FASB standards for nonprofit, faith-based organizations; working knowledge of general investments.
- Strong relationship skills with people (staff, donors, volunteers, and missionaries), institutions (finance and investment), vendors, and more.
- Exceptional organizational skills and detail-oriented; flexible, adaptable, and comfortable executing day-to-day administrative and office tasks.
- Knowledge of the Catholic faith, commitment to Gospel values, and belief in the mission of the Comboni Missionaries.
Salary and Benefits
Range: $65,000 – $75,000 with generous benefits.
Timeline & Resume Submittal Process
Recruitment: On or around 8/23/2022 – 9/21/2022.
Phase I (screening interview): 8/23/2022 – 9/23/2022.
Phase II (interview with the search committee): 10/11/2022.
Phase III (interview with the staff and several local missionaries): 10/19/2022.
On-board new finance director near the end of November 2022.
Comboni Missionaries reserves the right to adjust the timeline and the process at any time.
Cover letter and resume submission instructions – all candidates’ interest and submission will be held in confidence. Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to: Anne M. Maxfield at email@example.com, who is assisting Comboni Missionaries with this search. All candidates’ cover letters and resumes will be carefully reviewed and each will receive confirmation of receipt from Anne. Only those candidates who will be invited to Phase I interviews will receive a second communication. Thank you for your interest in Comboni Missionaries.