Kent State University is seeking a highly-motivated professional with exceptional communication and organizational skills to serve as the External Relations Officer for the College of Public Health. Our ideal candidate will initiate, develop and coordinate fundraising approaches to secure gifts, grants and donations from corporations, foundations, and individuals to support priorities of the College of Public Health. Maintain a pool of corporate, foundation, and individual prospects, both locally and nationally. Generate support for university priorities to meet or exceed established fundraising goals and responsibilities. This position reports to the Executive Director, Corporate Relations.
The College of Public Health is the first in Ohio and one of the largest in the nation offering a bachelor’s degree. Seven areas of concentration are offered along with the Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology and Doctor of Philosophy. The online Master of Public Health in Health Policy and Management is ranked #1 in the country.
Kent State University was recently ranked in the Top Tier of Best National Universities by U.S. New & World Report. Kent State’s eight-campuses make it one of the nation’s largest university systems and Ohio’s third-largest university. Kent offers a competitive compensation package, great benefits, and an excellent Wellness program.
The essential functions of this position are:
- Develop and implement a personal portfolio for selected corporations, foundations, and individuals within the College of Public Health, in order to meet or exceed established fundraising goals.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects for significant gifts.
- Initiate, establish and maintain contact with potential donors.
- Draft, write or edit concept papers, letters, and proposals, individually or in conjunction with colleagues from the College of Public Health and/or Institutional Advancement staff, that will help position the university and the unit as a successful recipient of private gift support.
- Develop and implement cultivation strategies in consultation with Deans, Program Directors, and other professional development staff for generating private support based on the College of Public Health and university priorities.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings with the university leadership and top executives of major corporations and foundations, and key individuals, to discuss strategies and solicit gifts.
- Coordinate on-campus visits, meetings, and presentations by prospective donors or their representatives.
- Coordinate prospect management responsibilities with advancement staff and other units of the university.
- Assist in the planning and developing of special projects relative to interests of university leadership and/or prospects.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of five years progressively responsible experience in development, donor relations, or related experience. Preference for experience in higher education administration, corporate and/or foundation fundraising or public health profession.
Position Number: 988125
Application Process: The position will remain open until filled. However, review of applications will begin immediately with a tentative close date of April 30. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Please apply online at https://www.kent.edu/hr/job-opportunities; include a resume and cover letter. Simply click External Relations Officer to direct you to the application process. You will find additional information about the division and a list of current open positions in Institutional Advancement, by visiting our website: https://www.kent.edu/advancement/institutional-advancement-employment.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer / Disabled / Veterans