Job Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Board of Directors
Location: St. Anthony Center in Over-the-Rhine
Classification: Exempt (FT)
Total Staff: 11 | Direct Reports: 8
ABOUT ST. FRANCIS SERAPH MINISTRIES
A plea from Archbishop Purcell to the Franciscans of St. Leopold Province in Austria lead to the formation of The Franciscan Friars in 1854 located in Over-the-Rhine. During the 1980’s, the Friars launched two of the signature programs – Sarah Center and The Dining Room. In 2012, St. Francis Seraph Ministries (SFSM) was established as a separate nonprofit organization and is governed by a board of directors. Today, SFSM is seen as a catalyst for resource development and communication for the urban poor. They are the creator of the St. Anthony Center, a nonprofit hub located at the corner of Liberty and Republic Streets. Visit https://www.sfsministries.org for more information.
The board of directors of SFSM, a faith-based nonprofit, is seeking an experienced, visionary, and passionate nonprofit professional to grow the mission through the implementation of the 2020-2023 strategic plan. The executive director will establish and implement agency strategy to ensure that SFSM remains operationally sound and stays on course with the mission. The executive director will inspire, and set the tone/culture for the staff, volunteers, funders, food sources, as well as our external partners. He/she will grow the SFSM strategically and intentionally – take it to the next level – and engage key stakeholders and staff to achieve greater outcomes. While the new executive director does not have to be a practicing Catholic, he/she must understand the tenets of Catholicism and embrace the charism of the Friars.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Serve as the top leader for implementation of any existing strategic plan, as well as future plans.
- Collaborate with the board of directors and update the existing succession plan on a regular basis.
- Develop and maintain a collaborative working relationship with the Franciscan Friars and the St. Anthony Center partners.
- Serve as the “face” of SFSM with funders, stakeholders, and with community leaders.
- Ensure that SFSM is involved and aware of local and national initiatives that relate to food insecurity, poverty, and programs that teach people to how to empower themselves.
- Enhance SFSM’s image by being active and visible in the community; create and cultivate connections with other nonprofit leaders, funders, partners, and anyone who has an interest in the mission and purpose of SFSM.
- Ensure the flow of funds allows SFSM’s important mission to advance.
- Continue to engage foundations, individual donors, and corporate partners to raise funds for current and future programs and activities.
- Actively engage and energize SFSM volunteers, board members, and event committees to raise funds.
- Set the tone and culture for the SFSM staff in terms of learning and development, regular staff meetings, adherence to core values.
- In the operations role, serve as the liaison to the board of directors and staff related committees. Prepare for board meetings, serve as a strong partner with the chair and the executive committee, understand the role difference between governance and operations.
- Collaborate with the finance director for yearly operating budgets and ensure SFSM operates within the confines of the approved budget.
- Once the board of directors approves a policy, ensure there are procedures written around these policies so that staff and volunteers understand the implementation process and the proper alignment with the policy and the mission.
Mission: Programs & Services
- Improve/enhance program-delivery through existing partnerships and collaborations.
- Develop and implement new and/or standardized programs and services.
- Ensure effective and efficient systems to regularly evaluate program components, measure success, and communicate effectively to the board, funders, and other constituents/stakeholders.
Key and Necessary Skill-Sets
- Leadership (empathy, listening, organizational management, people-management, hold staff accountable, board liaison, oversee entire SFSM operations, commitment to DEI).
- Entrepreneurial (self-motivated, innovative, creative).
- Strategic (vision, mission, critical-thinking).
- Outcome (measurements, outputs, inflows, reporting).
- Resource development (community-building, community connections, financial/in-kind resources, philanthropy, people-resources).
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in any discipline, minimum.
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in a leadership capacity – preferably all, or in part – in the nonprofit sector.
- Minimum of five years’ experience leading a team; ability to coach direct reports and help them coach their team.
- Demonstrated communication skills (Friars leadership, staff, school, donors, foundations, key stakeholders, community partners, St. Anthony Center partners, and volunteers).
TIMELINE & RESUME SUBMITTAL PROCESS
August 30 – Oct. 3, 2021 Recruitment of potential candidates for executive director
Sept. 6 – Oct. 8, 2021 Phase I: Virtual or in-person interviews (45 minutes to 1 hour) with Anne Maxfield, nonprofit consultant and/or search committee chair
October 18 & 19, 2021 Phase II: Virtual or in-person Interviews (1.5 hours) with SFSM search committee and Anne Maxfield
October 25, 2021 Phase III: Virtual or in-person interview (1.5 to 2.0 hours) with board of directors and key staff
End of October Extend offer contingent upon reference checks, etc.
December 1, 2021 Onboard as the new executive director
The search committee reserves the right to adjust the timeline and the process at any time.
Cover Letter & Resume Submission Instructions – all candidates’ interest and submission will be held in confidence.
Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to: Anne M. Maxfield at firstname.lastname@example.org, who is assisting the board with this search. ALL candidates’ cover letters and resumes will be carefully reviewed and each will receive confirmation of receipt from Anne. Only those candidates who will be invited to Phase I interviews will receive a second communication. Thank you for your interest in St. Francis Seraph Ministries and driving its purpose.