As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity as a Donor Development Officer.
Identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards current and prospective donors in expanding their financial support of the work of the American Red Cross. Responsible for meeting an annual revenue target by working with an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects to advance the mission of the organization and assist donors in creating meaning in their lives through giving to the American Red Cross.
- Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying donors in extensive donor discovery, retention and growth of donor contributions as well as recapture from previous donors. Works collaboratively with other departments and partners with development staff at the National Office to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
- Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manages an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects with intent to discover donor potential. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal tied to blended portfolio as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Develop aggregate donor management plans resulting in primarily phone interaction and local face to face solicitation. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters.
- Prospect Development: Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $2,500 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross. May work with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Updates donor records in region and/or district database and Salesforce following donor contacts.
- Relationship Development: Accountable for cultivating relationships of individual and organizational fundraising with focus on retention, recapture and growth. Responsible for new business development and the need to steward donor relationships until annual hand off of accounts occurs which meets channel design and donor centric principles.
- Other: Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate.
- It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team works with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
- Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum three years sales and/or fundraising experience required. Experience in qualifying donors through donor discovery and proven success with straightforward requests is required.
Management Experience: None required.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent organizational, verbal and written skills required. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce.com). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
Travel: Minimal travel required.
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development; team spirit; a competitive salary; and a comprehensive benefits package.
If this sounds like the kind of opportunity that you’ve been waiting for, please visit our website at: www.redcross.org/jobs
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.