Job title: Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Loveland, Ohio
Classification: Full-Time | Exempt
Direct Reports: Five
ABOUT OHIO VALLEY VOICES
Ohio Valley Voices is an innovative nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching children with hearing loss to listen and speak through the use of hearing aids and cochlear implants. Founded in 1999, Ohio Valley Voices has served over 200 families, earning a reputation as one of the best programs of its kind in the country. We live our mission every day: Ohio Valley Voices teaches children who are deaf and hard of hearing to listen and speak.
The director of development is a key role for Ohio Valley Voices and will provide strategic and operational leadership for the development department – a team of five dedicated to implement the annual fund strategy. In addition, the director of development will support the executive director and take the capital campaign to the finish line (70% of a $5.250MM achieved). He/she will lead by example, coach the team to success, deepen the donor relationship experience, and coordinate fundraising requests. The director of development is responsible for the fundraising strategy, development, and direct execution of the annual development plan.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as staff liaison to the development & marketing and communications committees; partner with the chair to include agenda creation, supporting documents and attending meetings
- Provide leadership, management and oversight for: 1) development and execution of all appeals, campaigns, and events, 2) craft the annual development plan, 3) grant writing contractor and their duties, 4) database management, 5) donor/foundation/corporation documentation, 6) website updates and maintenance, 7) all communication/marketing materials (write, edit, update, and fact check), 8) monthly stakeholder newsletter, 9) news releases, photo ops, media tasks, etc.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Ensure prompt acknowledgment of all donor gifts
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for solicitation, make a gift request, when necessary, as well as solicit/coordinate the solicitation for staff, board, and volunteers, as appropriate
- Develop a process to integrate and coordinate all fundraising requests to include relationship management, and support the executive director and team members; maintain foundation relationships
- Work with the event coordinator to create sponsorship proposals, brochures, invitations, and other marketing and communication materials
- Responsible for developing the social media calendar, it’s updates: including daily/weekly posts, monthly blogs, vlogs, and executive director’s thought-leader materials
- Create and execute on all on-line giving initiatives
- Responsible for managing and growing our cause marketing programs and partnerships annually
Strategy and Infrastructure:
- Collaborate with the executive director to develop and implement development strategy to include short-term and long-term goals in alignment with the strategic plan
- Identify, secure, and steward new relationships to build Ohio Valley Voice’s visibility, impact, and financial resources
- Increase community outreach and awareness of Ohio Valley Voices
- Create annual report
Supervision and Training:
- Work closely with the board and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role
- Provide coaching, mentorship, and leadership to all direct reports and harness their strengths to create a high-performing team that will hit all fundraising targets
- Manage the hiring process for staff vacancies and ensure that any work that needs to be executed is completed by department staff and/or the director of development
- Enthusiastically embrace and promote the mission of Ohio Valley Voices
- Adhere to all agency policies and procedures
- Prepare for and attend all staff and supervision meetings as well as committee and other meetings as appropriate
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Six-plus years of senior-level fundraising management and a proven fundraising track record within nonprofit organizations
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, knowledge of social media, knowledge of Donor Perfect, competencies in online fundraising strategies and communications
TIMELINE & RESUME SUBMITTAL PROCESS
Recruitment: March 5, 2022 – March 30, 2022
Phase I: Zoom Screening Interview with Anne Maxfield, nonprofit consultant – March 7, 2022 – April 4, 2022
Phase II: Live interview at Ohio Valley Voices with Maria Sentelik, executive director, Anne Maxfield and select members of the development committee. Interviews will be held on a mutually agreed upon date and time in March or April 2022
Salary Range: $74,000 – $80,000 with full benefits
This search will remain open until a director of development is hired.
Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to:
Anne M. Maxfield at firstname.lastname@example.org, who is assisting with this search. ALL candidates’ cover letters and resumes will be carefully reviewed and each will receive confirmation of receipt from Anne. Only those candidates who will be invited to Phase I interviews will receive a second communication. All candidate information will be held in confidence.
Thank you for your interest in Ohio Valley Voices and driving their purpose.
Ohio Valley Voices is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.