This is a rewarding and challenging professional opportunity to join the #1 attraction in Cincinnati, a Top Workplace, and one of the top five zoos as ranked in the national Zagat Survey. You will apply your experience, expertise and personal warmth and passion to secure significant funds for the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden by as a Director of Corporate Relations.
This position will have significant impact in helping the Zoo maintain its standing in Cincinnati and the world as an exciting visitor destination, and a leader in plant and animal protection and conservation. Assuring that as many prospective corporate donors as possible are acquired as new donors, retained as continuing donors to the organization and are upgraded in their giving and involvement, the benefit of this position will be the satisfaction of helping corporate donors fulfill their goals, passions and interests through their giving to the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden.
This position serves an integral role in the Development Department by providing strategic leadership and results-oriented fund development to the Zoo. You will build, sustain, and secure marketing and event sponsorships and funding integral to the Zoo’s premier fundraising events. You will also work in conjunction with the Development Manager to support the Zoo’s Ambassador Council – a leadership council of some of Cincinnati’s most prominent and influential young professionals. The incumbent will manage relationships with prospective corporate donors and will be expected to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these very important friends of the Zoo.
The incumbent will work collaboratively and strategically with Development Leadership Team, the Zoo Director, other fundraising professionals and staff leaders. As a member of the Development team, this position collaborates with the team on a range of Zoo donor cultivation activities, and will successfully:
- Oversee and expand a vibrant portfolio of corporations to help meet department event sponsorship goal for ticketed fundraisers: Zoofari, Zoo La La, Toast to the Wild Series and The Tulip Event as well as larger month-long marketing events. This position as a front-line fundraiser will help to identify Zoofari and Zoo La La as Cincinnati’s leading events for corporate partnerships and will work closely with the VP of Development on sponsorship opportunities valued over $25,000.
- For corporate sponsorships, work with finance, marketing, development communications and all appropriate internal teams to craft proposals, reports and creating budgets that correspond to the needs of the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden and the goals of the corporations.
- Maintain a follow-up system to invoice, renew, provide reports and timely correspondence with all accounts.
- Serve as support to the Zoo’s Ambassador Council including attending council meetings as needed, corporate networking, and serving the needs of this distinguished group of young leaders.
- Increase the profile of the Ambassador Council in the community by leveraging their professional networks, involving them in Zoo programs and volunteer leadership positions, and promoting them among Zoo staff and the Zoo’s Board of directors.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of successful marketing, sales and/or fundraising experience
- The candidate must have a demonstrated, successful track record of securing gifts or sponsorships of $10,000 or more
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be a positive-minded professional, with the appropriate professional poise, attitude and personality to work effectively with Zoo staff members, donors, guests and the public
- Creative and strategic thinker with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to follow through in a timely manner through routine, consistent and timely communication
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate donors/sponsors and get to “the ask”
- Action-oriented team player with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Meticulous and consistent in matters of accuracy, presentation and attention to detail
- Able to tactfully negotiate with high level corporations, take control of the sales process, and close deals while possessing a genuine love for the Zoo’s mission and passion for its success
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and donors to develop relationships between them and various areas of the Zoo
- Mastery of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Equivalent combinations of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of the position will be considered
Successful candidates will embrace and continuously demonstrate the Core Values of the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden which include, but are not limited to:
- Building Collaborative Relationships through open communication and active listening
- Having Positivity and Energy through positive attitudes and making time to celebrate successes
- Having Accountability, Mutual Trust and Respect through taking ownership of issues, learning from mistakes, treating others with respect, and doing what you say you’re going to do
- Possessing Progressive Thinking through being a self-directed learner, and learning from others, thinking creatively and demonstrating relentless pursuit for improvement
- Having Pride, Passion & a Sense of Ownership through respect and care for the living collection, going the extra mile, always being an advocate for the Zoo.
Working Conditions: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer, pre-employment drug & nicotine screen & background check. While performing the duties of the job, the incumbent is regularly required to stand, walk, and utilize manual dexterity to use computer mouse and keyboard. The incumbent may be exposed to outside weather conditions and must be able to lift/move/carry up to 25 pounds without assistance. Requires a valid driver’s license and must be insurable through the Zoo’s carrier. This job may require walking throughout the day, occasionally on steep terrain; Ability to work a flexible schedule (including early mornings, evenings & weekends, when needed) is required.
Position Details & Zoo Benefits: This position is full-time, salary-exempt, is subject to the successful completion of a 180-day probationary period and is eligible for the Zoo’s benefit programs for non-union employees, first of the month following date of hire. The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden offers a comprehensive benefits package including affordable medical, dental & vision coverage; health & wellness plans; 401(k) plan with company match; flexible spending accounts; generous paid time off (vacation, holiday and sick leave); company-paid disability & life insurance; park discounts and free passes.
To apply for this position: Qualified applicants must apply via our online application on our website at http://cincinnatizoo.org/about-us/job-opportunities/. Cover letter and resume should be included in your online application.
Closing date for the first round of applications is October 10, 2019. However, if an appropriate candidate is not identified, the position will remain posted until a qualified candidate is hired.
The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer and does not and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other protected status.
We are a Queen City Certified Leader in Gender Equity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1873 and officially open in 1875, the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is the second oldest Zoo in the United States. Rated by peer zoological parks as one of the best zoos in the nation, the Cincinnati Zoo continues to set the standard for conservation, education and preservation of wild animals and wild spaces. Over 1.8 million people visit the Zoo annually. The Zoo features more than 500 animal and 3,000 plant species, making it one of the largest Zoo collections in the country.
The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden was rated the #1 attraction in Cincinnati and one of the top five zoos in the nation by Zagat Survey. It has also been recognized by Child Magazine as one of “The 10 Best Zoos for Kids.” The Zoo is an accredited member of the American Zoo & Aquarium Association (AZA), and is internationally known for its success in the protection and propagation of endangered animals and plants, and engages in research and conservation projects worldwide.