The primary purpose of this position is to tell the Thomas More College story. The person in this role is responsible for helping to advance the College’s mission through an integrated marketing and communications strategy. As such, s/he is tasked with the planning, development and implementation of all of Thomas More College’s communications and public relations activities. S/he also writes, edits and manages the production of the College magazine, Moreover. S/he also directs the efforts of all direct reports, collaborates as an engaged member of the Institutional Advancement team, and coordinates the strategic and tactical activities of other areas of the College as related to marketing, communications, and branding activities. S/he also manages two employees: Art and Graphic Design Director and Web Designer / Social Media Manager.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as exemplary listening skills.
- Knowledge of marketing/communications functions including: public and media relations, social media strategies, and advertising /publications.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated success in writing press releases, feature articles, making presentations, and working closely with the media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print and on-line materials and publications.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office programs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Demonstrated strong decision making skills, self-assurance, and emotional intelligence.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Create, implement, and measure the success of an integrated marketing and communications strategy to enhance the College’s image and brand position within the marketplace. This includes publications, brochures, web site content, social media content, external print materials, and media relations.
- Manage an advertising budget and place ads as needed.
- Serve as the Chief Strategist, Writer, and Editor of Moreover, the College’s alumni magazine.
- Work closely with the Art Director on art direction and assign all stories. Coordinate the mailing and distribution of the publication.
- Serve as media spokesperson for the College. Advise and consult with the President of the College as well as the Vice President of Institutional Advancement in regards to controversial issues that may have public relations ramifications to the College.
- Assist the President of Thomas More College with the drafting of letters and speeches, as well as video shoots, media presentations, blogs, and web/social media content.
- Serve on the College’s Crisis Management Team and handle crisis communication duties during a potential emergency situation.
- Implement a comprehensive marketing strategy for Thomas More College with a focus on recruitment and building brand identity as related to the Enrollment/Admissions functions of the College.
- Chair marketing committee that brings together key leaders from departments across the College.
- Write and distribute the Insider on a weekly basis to TMC faculty and staff.
- Leverage college/student/faculty success on social media platforms and other media outlets.
- Serve on President’s Cabinet, commencement committee, external committees, and other committees as needed.
- Assist Institutional Advancement with fundraising campaigns.
- Create content for monthly TMC page in the Messenger.
- Assist with signage and other branding projects on the College campus.
- Write and disseminate press releases.
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for communications and public relations programs and activities. Track progress of plans and budget expenditures.
- Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement.
- Coordinate photo shoots and hire freelance photographers and videographers to capture important events and campus imagery to be used for various marketing materials including: the web site, the College alumni magazine, recruitment materials, development materials, athletic materials, academic materials, etc.
- Support the overhaul of the College’s website, including creation of a brand strategy as well as content writing, photo and video editing, and general editing to ensure cohesive brand identity and voice.
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field required.
Minimum of 5 years’ experience in marketing, communications or public relations with increasing responsibilities, including direct management of staff, and demonstrated track record of success.
To Apply: Email resume, cover letter, and complete contact information for three references to email@example.com, or mail to Director of Human Resources, Thomas More College, 333 Thomas More Parkway, Crestview Hills, KY 41017.