The Miami Valley Council Boy Scouts of America is a youth-serving nonprofit, first established in 1918. It has a proud heritage of camping and outdoor activities for young men and women in the Miami Valley. The Miami Valley Council encompasses the five-county region of Montgomery, Darke, Preble, Miami, and Shelby Counties, and serves over 3,000 youth, 115 units, and two camps, and two administrative properties. Our mission is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
Reporting to the Scout Executive/CEO, the Development Director is responsible for the strategic planning, management, and oversight of the organization’s fundraising program. This individual must ensure the program is designed and executed thoughtfully to engage donors and volunteers to strengthen relationships and fundraising results. Specifically, the Development Director must increase the number of donors and chartable revenue through leadership of annual campaigns, special events, major donor giving, grant-writing, and endowment. This position is a member of the council’s leadership team and helps provide direction to achieving the mission, vision, and strategy of the Miami Valley Council.
- Fundraising Management (50%)
- With Executive Board engagement, builds comprehensive annual giving program, aligning with the council’s strategic plan, that includes council, community, and participant-based campaigns, special event organization and execution, personal major gift solicitations, oversite of grant-writing, and endowment growth
- As the liaison to the Executive Board Revenue Development Committee, Identifies prospective donors through research, referrals, event attendees, program participants, volunteers, and community contacts
- Creates and implements a 3-year strategic fund development plan that includes goals for long-term financial sustainability and short/medium term for continuous growth of resources that support people, properties, and programs
- Become immersed in community through networking and engagement to bring new resources to the Council
- Major Gift Fundraising/Portfolio Management (25%)
- Leads monthly prospect review meeting with fellow staff and key volunteers to identify and strategize major gift donor engagement
- Maintains major donor portfolio of 25-50 active donors/prospects
- Develops relationships with major individual, corporate, and foundation donors – prepares proposals and makes/closes donor asks regularly
- Donor Communication & Stewardship (20%)
- Reviews and approves appropriate stewardship letters to donors
- Leads annual communications plan to donors and coordinates all aspects of plan with key stakeholders, including annual report, emails, newsletters, etc.
- Coordinates donor communication, including campaign materials, website, and social media presence, etc.
- Established broad and personalized stewardship plan to renew and upgrade committed donors annually
- Budget Management & Reporting (5%)
- Assists in developing and maintaining council’s annual operating budget
- Develops and adheres to event/campaign-specific budgets
- Drafts monthly report/scorecard of fundraising performance for review by the Executive Board
- Provides comprehensive annual report of fundraising performance that charts trends
- Effectively utilize the data collected from donors and constituents to report on fundraising outcomes
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree, Masters preferred
Experience Required: 3-5 years in fundraising or a related field, annual campaign experience
Preferred Experience: Background in nonprofit fund development, volunteer management, campaign leadership, major gift solicitation
- Communication – Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Customer Focus – Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet the needs of customers and of one’s own organization.
- Work Standards – Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; imposing standards of excellence on oneself rather than having standards imposed.
- Leadership Disposition – Demonstrating the traits, inclinations, and dispositions that characterize successful leaders; exhibiting behavior styles that meet the demands of the leader role.
- Contributing to Team Success – Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Other Skills and Traits:
- CFRE credential desirable.
- Familiarity with the local, regional, and national funding community a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required. Experience with Black Baud CRM software a plus.
- Self-confidence in presenting, speaking, and conducting enrollment opportunities, donation requests and volunteer committees.
- Must be able to work flexible hours for relationship building and management; to meet donors and other volunteers at their convenience which could include weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
- Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms, and other printed materials and information.
- Hearing acuity for verbal communication, conversations, face-to-face interactions, and/or responses via telephone and telephone systems.
- Speaking ability for general communication and ability to clearly enunciate in conversations with others.
- Must be able to work in an office and out-of-office environment, which includes prolonged periods of sitting, standing, phone and computer usage. Crouching and lifting of 25 pounds.
- Position also requires operation of a motor vehicle to conduct appointments in the field and share experiences with donors.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000 (based on experience)
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Paid-Time-Off: 24 Days
- Observed Holidays: 12
- Short- & Long-Term Disability
- Group Life Insurance
- Group Accident Insurance
Interested candidates please email email@example.com