Reports to: Executive Director
Overall Function: The Development Director will build and lead a development team that supports Camp Joy’s mission and vision through philanthropic support and fundraising under a new leadership paradigm at Camp Joy. This is a role for an innovative and strategic leader who can build on the foundation of Camp Joy’s fundraising efforts to date and think bigger than ever before about how we serve and grow, with a particular focus on building a major gifts program and growing the ranks of individual donors. The Development Director will play a critical role in developing that new vision, implementing it and supporting it; all while building and leading a team that thrives in Camp Joy’s culture model and lives out the values upon which Camp Joy was founded: inclusion at all costs, opportunity for everyone, and the belief that nature is a healing space. The Development Director will have a high degree of autonomy and flexibility in executing his or her responsibilities and managing his or her team. The Development Director will also be an integral part of Camp Joy’s leadership team.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Culture – Instill and model a culture of collaboration, discipline, continuous improvement and employee development for the fundraising team that is consistent with Camp Joy’s mission and values.
- Strategic / Financial Outcomes – Support delivery of Camp Joy’s mission-driven programming and Camp Joy operations, developed through Camp Joy’s annual program plan and budget process, with fundraised dollars. Develop Camp Joy annual fundraising budget and manage expenses to ensure adequate fundraised dollars to support Camp Joy’s needs.
- Major and Planned Giving – Cultivate and steward a portfolio of major individual donors and prospects. Manage individual donor development and cultivation plans (using Moves Management process) focused on major and planned giving.
- Donor Stewardship / Cultivation – Steward existing and cultivate new relationships with individual donors, foundations, corporations, and prospective donors. With the Executive Director, articulate the vision for Camp Joy’s growth and investment in and impact of mission-driven programs.
- Fundraising – Solicit funding through donation appeals, grant writing, sponsorships, in-kind requests, and planned giving to support programming, capital projects and facilities upkeep, and endowment growth. Lead all fundraising activities including the annual fund drive, community events, and capital and endowment campaigns in alignment with Camp Joy’s short and long-term strategic plans.
- Communications – Collaborate closely with the communications team to create coordinated donor-centric communication that supports increased visibility of Camp Joy and strategic community engagement. Advise on a comprehensive communications portfolio to build community awareness and support of Camp Joy including media networks, the Camp Joy website, annual report, impact statements, and social media channels.
- Board Development – Work with the Executive Committee and Executive Director to recruit and engage Board members and a Development Committee to support Camp Joy through fundraising and development.
- Community Relationships – Represent Camp Joy to all stakeholders, including the board, donors, clients, vendors, affiliated groups and associations, and the community at large. Work with the Executive Director to cultivate new and existing partnerships in the community.
- Applicant must be able to work a flexible schedule and up to 50% of time off-site.
- Applicant must be able to carry supplies, etc. of at least 10 lbs., be able to work in outdoor environment in all types of weather and walk on uneven pavement.
- Five to seven years of experience and knowledge of fundraising including securing major gifts, building and maintaining an individual donor portfolio, leading funding campaigns, grant writing, and special event planning.
- Ideally is familiar with the concepts of experiential education, camp, and outdoor education.
- Organized, outgoing, service oriented, have excellent communication skills, ability to manage, and strong attention to detail.
- Experience working in a computerized office environment with a team orientation and multi-functional responsibilities. Strong computer competency with experience in Microsoft and Raiser’s Edge software applications.
- A valid driver’s license and be insurable under Camp Joy’s policy.
This is a full-time exempt position. Camp Joy offers a comprehensive compensation package including:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Pre and post-tax retirement options with organizational match
- Flexible schedule and generous paid time off policy
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- Optional accident, short-term disability, and critical illness insurance
Please submit a resume and letter of interest to Connie Holbrook, Employee Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Joy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.