Working at Girl Scouts is making a difference. We wake up every day knowing that our work is changing lives—giving girls and young women the tools to empower themselves for a lifetime of leadership.
The Development Director is responsible for providing strong leadership, oversight and results for the council’s fundraising efforts. This person will expand and execute a comprehensive development program in assigned regions incorporating a broad range of fundraising strategies including prospect identification; donor cultivation and stewardship; planned giving and major gifts; special events; and foundation and corporate giving.
Essential functions include:
- Expand and execute a comprehensive development plan with specific, measurable goals for assigned regions.
- Develop and execute strategies for cultivating, soliciting, stewarding, and recognizing current and new donors, volunteers, staff, and alumnae.
- Strategically leverage the time and connections of the Regional Directors and CEO to support development targets.
- Inspire support for Girl Scouts of Western Ohio through compelling communications and stories.
- Plan and implement annual Woman of Distinction event utilizing strategies that support continuous growth as evidenced by donations, sponsorships, attendees and community support.
- Coordinate the acceptance and usage of gifts in kind to ensure such gifts support the Girl Scout mission and council objectives.
- Establish and lead regional planned giving efforts. The position will serve as liaison to members and the council’s Juliette Gordon Low Society, working proactively to solicit members into the society.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in the area of fund development. Minimum of five years of development experience with demonstrated success in achieving targeted goals and expanding development efforts in relation to high-level donors, corporate giving, planned giving efforts and annual giving campaigns.
- Experience carrying out a donor-centered fundraising philosophy and strengthening a culture of philanthropy.
- Strong interest in and understanding of issues affecting girls and women. Familiarity with potential donors interested in these issues a plus.
- Experience using fundraising database software to track donors and produce reports.
- Ability to complete assignments independently, professionally, and in a timely manner.
- Ability to work evening hours and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to work in a team environment with commitment to contributing to the organizational goals.
Preferred education and experience:
- Certified Fund Raising Executive
Additional eligibility qualifications:
Must possess a valid state driver’s license and functioning vehicle for work within the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio region. Successful completion of fingerprinting and a criminal background check as required by Ohio law. Commitment to making a difference in girls’ lives as expressed in the Ends statements; mission and goals for girls, as noted in the Board Policy Manual.
About Girl Scouts of Western Ohio
We’re the preeminent leadership organization for girls, with close to 2.7 million girl and adult members and 112 councils across the country. We’ve been inspiring girls to achieve their full potential since 1912.
At Girl Scouts, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, and commitment—and most importantly, a life-changing career. We have an array of opportunities for professionals in fields ranging from accounting, research, and marketing, to information technology, advocacy, fund development, and beyond. Every role contributes to helping girls discover themselves, connect with others, and take action to make the world a better place.
We offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability for the individual employee
- 401(k) retirement program
- Flexible spending account and health reimbursement account
- Casual dress code
- Paid vacation, sick days, and paid holidays
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness available for those who qualify
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. GSWO is an EEO/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer.