Department: Museum Experiences
Reports To: Director of Museum Experiences
Deadline to Apply:
Open Until Filled
National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
50 E Freedom Way
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Must work some holidays
$41,000 – $45,000
Requirements ( Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification):
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Public History, Museum Studies or related field required. Master’s Degree with a concentration in collection management preferred.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with African American History required.
- Knowledge of collection management systems like PastPerfect, EmU and Collectify required.
- Strong project management skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and remain flexible in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work closely with a team in a diverse environment.
The Curator is responsible for management of the museum collection as well as the temporary and permanent exhibitions that fulfills the mission of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
- Work with the Registration Department to develop a collection plan for the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in accordance with the institutional collection policy.
- Responsible for the development, management, intellectual integrity and care of museum collection.
- Manage collection’s documentation with the support from the Registration Department.
- Manage the display of museum artifacts in conjunction with the Registration Department.
- Address artifact donation inquiries from potential donors.
- Monitors the condition of the museum collections in regard to environmental control and monitoring, pest management, security and risk management.
- Coordinate new acquisitions and artifact deaccession with the Registration Department.
- Utilize collection management software to maintain artifact documentation and status.
- Develop interpretive content for exhibitions.
- Manages research queries and photographic and digital reproduction requests.
- Assist in managing history-based requests for the institution.
- Works in conjunction with the Director of Museum Experiences to plan for both short-term and long-term needs of the exhibitions spaces of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
- Manage installation and de-installation of temporary exhibitions in coordination with the Director of Museum Experiences.
- Works with the Director of Museum Experiences to create a temporary exhibition plan.
- Conduct daily condition reports of the exhibition spaces.
- Manage visitor experiences of exhibitions with daily attendance monitoring and surveys.
- Provide digital content support for areas related to exhibitions, collections, and historical topics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Standard office environment associated with position.
- Must be able to lift 35 lbs.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
Please apply at: https://www.cincymuseum.org/jobs/
Cincinnati Museum Center and the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center are proud to be Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against any applicant or employee based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, military status, veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.