ArtWorks is seeking a Managing Director of Development to lead the strategy and execution of effective fundraising programs that advance our mission to transform people and places through investments in creativity. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a collaborative and forward-thinking team of trustees and staff to build institutional strength and capacity through strategic philanthropy and innovative fundraising and earned revenue models generating $3MM+ annually.
- Serve as part of ArtWorks’ leadership team advising and collaborating closely with Board of Directors, Board Development Committee, Executive Leaders, Directors, Staff and Volunteers.
- Manage Development Team.
- Manage partner relationships with contractors, event venues, Salesforce, etc.
- Develop, oversee and manage implementation of development plan in accordance with highest ethical fundraising principles and integrity.
Manage Development Budget
- Oversee creation and approval of an annual and three-year revenue and fundraising expense budget to support ArtWorks’ strategic priorities.
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities and prepare regular progress reports to ensure goals are being achieved; adjust strategy and plans as necessary.
- Monitor trends in the community or sector and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
Manage Development Program & Activities
- Design and implement annual and multi-year engagement strategies to maximize relationships with existing and new donors.
- Partner with trustees and staff to champion a donor-centered approach to identify, cultivate, solicit, secure and steward gifts.
- Develop and manage annual calendar of fundraising campaigns, events and activities to ensure revenue targets are met including Annual Fund, Adopt an Apprentice, ArtWorks Breakfast, fall fundraiser, season sponsorships, major gifts, planned giving, Mural Tours, direct mail campaigns, crowdfunding, endowment and more.
- Oversee the creation and management of annual $1MM+ foundation/grant strategy and schedule of applications and reports; cultivate relationships to increase local, regional and national foundation support.
- Lead identification and cultivation of corporate partners and individual prospects with major gift capacity.
- Oversee the management of the donor database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
- Leverage Salesforce to improve prospecting, pipeline development, cultivation stage management and reporting; champion use of Salesforce as enterprise-wide platform for Development, Workforce Development, Programming and Volunteers.
- Oversee processes to ensure timely and accurate donor gift acknowledgment and recognition benefits.
- Oversee strategy to secure and recognize budget-relieving in-kind donations.
Promote the Organization
- Foster an understanding and culture of philanthropy within the organization; coach trustees and staff on best practices.
- Collaborate with communications and programming teams to promote the organization to donors and maximize public awareness and engagement in fundraising activities.
- Collaborate with communications team to design and distribute materials in support of development efforts.
- Create and deliver compelling presentations to help elevate awareness of ArtWorks among key audiences.
- Build relationships with community leaders and key stakeholders to advance ArtWorks’ mission and fundraising goals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Loves Cincinnati and is passionate about ArtWorks’ mission.
- Experience in fundraising/fiscal management, budget oversight and financial analysis.
- Familiarity with the Cincinnati philanthropic community.
- Adept at using data and metrics to inform strategy and drive results.
- Can balance big picture strategy and manage detailed execution with high degree of accountability and adherence to deadlines.
- Agile leader with strong interpersonal and culture-building skills to help guide and influence organizational growth.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develops new ways to improve the finances of the organization.
- Behaves Ethically: Understands ethical behavior and business practices and ensures personal and team behavior is consistent with these standards; aligning with the values of the organization.
- Builds Relationships: Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally to achieve ArtWorks goals.
- Donor-Centric: Anticipates, understands, empathizes and responds to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations.
- Fosters Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, solve problems and make decisions that improve organizational effectiveness and drive results.
- Leadership: Positively influences others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assesses situations to determine priority, urgency and risks and make clear recommendations and/or decisions that are timely and in the best interest of the organization.
- Organized: Sets priorities, develops work plans and schedules, monitors and reports progress, documents details.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Salesforce or similar fundraising software.
- Excellent personal and professional references.
- Ability and willingness to attend evening/weekend ArtWorks and strategic community events as needed.
- Flexible, inquisitive, creative, entrepreneurial, optimistic.
Credentials and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 5-7+ years of professional fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated senior level experience in small to mid-size organization, preferably nonprofit and/or arts related.
About ArtWorks: Founded in 1996, ArtWorks transforms people and places through investments in creativity. Our vision is for creativity to be part of Cincinnati’s DNA, fueling and inspiring change. For good. To date, ArtWorks has employed, trained and developed more than 3,000 local youth (ages 14-21), 2,000 professional artists and 300 creative entrepreneurs. ArtWorks has an annual operating budget of $3 million. Today about 80% of the organization’s annual operating revenue is generated through its philanthropic efforts and 20% is from direct-funded projects. ArtWorks is grateful for ongoing support from ArtsWave, City of Cincinnati, The Carol Ann and Ralph V. Haile, Jr./U.S. Bank Foundation, Ohio Arts Council and the generosity of many individuals, foundations, corporations and community partners. www.ArtWorksCincinnati.org
To apply: Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter including salary requirements to Sandra Okot-Kotber at Sandra@ArtWorksCincinnati.org by June 22, 2018
Job Title: Managing Director Development
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience plus bonus potential and employee benefits package, including generous paid time off, health insurance and 401(k)
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 20 E. Central Pkwy, Cincinnati, OH
Reports to: COO
Start date: ASAP
ArtWorks is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace.