Position Title: Grants & Major Gifts Manager
Classification: Salary, Exempt
Supervisor: Director of External Relations
Category: Regular Full-Time
Department: External Relations
Schedule: 40 Hours/Week
Cincinnati Nature Center is seeking a Grants & Major Gifts Manager. This person manages all activities related to foundation and government grants, including prospect research, strategic planning, grant writing and donor reports. Works with the Director of External Relations to coordinate major donor prospect research and cultivation plans, with responsibility for a portfolio of major donor prospects.
Support ongoing efforts to solicit and manage grants and major gift funding for Cincinnati Nature Center programs and projects (capital, operating and endowment). Manage all activities related to foundation and government grants including prospect research, strategic planning, grant writing and donor reports. Also work with leadership to coordinate major donor prospect research and cultivation plans, with responsibility for a portfolio of major donor prospects. Work in a collaborative manner with the External Relations Team. Execute all activities with the highest standards for safety, customer service, and in keeping with Cincinnati Nature Center Mission, Values and Principles.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
FOUNDATION & GOVERNMENT FUNDING (80%):
- Prepare and submit grant proposals to foundation, corporate and government sources in order to meet organizational revenue needs for capital, operating and endowment.
- Research local, regional and national foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for grants.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with local and regional funding contacts as appropriate.
- Collaborate with all relevant departments to gather information necessary for grant submission, grant reporting and monitoring.
- Oversee and maintain internal grant tracking and reporting schedules.
- Manage the fulfillment of grant awards including communication to funders and preparation of interim and final reports.
MAJOR DONOR FUNDING (20%):
- Assist Director of External Relations in developing and proposing strategies for solicitation of major gifts, including prospect research, cultivation and solicitation plans.
- Coordinate an effective program for recognition, involvement and stewardship of major and special gifts donors.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects, as assigned.
- Create copy for donor communication materials.
- Conduct ongoing prospect research on potential major donors.
- Work with volunteer committee to achieve fundraising goals.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
SPECIAL EVENTS: Provides support for special community/fundraising events as needed. These events may fall after hours or on weekends.
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned herein.
Education and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum 2 years of experience with grant writing
- Minimum 5 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must maintain confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to make independent decisions using critical thinking skills
- Collaborative working style
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of fundraising software
- Great customer service skills
- A sense of humor, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit
- General interest in nature and the environment
- Must pass a background check
- Proficient in Word, Power Point, Excel and other related software
- Experience with fundraising database programs such as Raiser’s Edge and Altru.
The work is performed on-site, indoors in an office environment, and outdoors in the nature preserve.
Local travel may be required. Some travel to regional conferences may be required. The use of a personal vehicle (reimbursed at IRS recommended rate) may be needed for Cincinnati Nature Center business.
This position requires the following physical activities: pushing, pulling, climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, standing, walking, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity.