DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
The LAM Foundation is the global leader in the fight against lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM), a rare lung disease that strikes young women, often in the prime of their lives. A 501(c)(3) non-profit, the Foundation’s mission is: To urgently seek safe and effective treatments, and ultimately a cure, for lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) through advocacy and the funding of promising research. We are dedicated to serving the scientific, medical, and patient communities by offering information, resources, and a worldwide network of hope and support.
The Development & Communications Director’s role is to develop and expand the fundraising capabilities of the Foundation, to direct active fundraising programs and implement Foundation messaging across all platforms and programs. Responsibilities include writing the annual development and communications plans; donor identification, cultivation, and solicitation; event planning; grant writing; and oversight of the donor database, donor recognition and reporting. The Development & Communications Director interfaces with donors in conjunction with the CEO to achieve the goals and initiatives set forth in the Foundation’s strategic plan. This position reports to the CEO.
Key Performance Objectives:
- Revenue Generation: Identify, grow, and optimize giving streams that drive the annual revenue plan.
- Outreach and Communications: Ensure unified, audience driven messaging across all programs that creates an emotional connection to The LAM Foundation’s mission.
- Talent Management: Build a high performing development and communications team that consistently achieves performance objectives.
- Strategy and Planning: Lead the creation and execution of a cohesive strategy that aligns development and communication priorities to day-to day-operations.
- Minimum 5 years of non-profit development experience required; development experience in a healthcare related setting a plus.
- Compassion and empathy for individuals and families living with chronic disease; personal or professional experience with a rare disease organization a plus.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Donor relations database experience required; Salesforce software experience a plus.
- Peer to peer fundraising experience required.
- Impeccable writing and copy-editing abilities required.
- Grant writing experience and strong track record of raising sponsorship dollars for events a plus.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies required.
- Working knowledge of content management systems, HTML coding, and digital graphics production a plus.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro) a plus.
- Ability to travel 10-15 times per year
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Evaluates the talent base and overall bench strength of the development and communications team. Establishes accountabilities and performance expectations, monitors execution and provides ongoing feedback.
- Works closely with the CEO and members of the Board of Directors to identify and cultivate new partnerships and expand existing partnerships with corporate foundations and donors to advance the Foundation’s revenue goals.
- Leads event management activities for all fundraising-related events.
- Oversees the donor database and gift acknowledgment processes. Identifies and targets donors with high engagement scores for programs, plan giving, challenge grants and/or conversion to major donor status.
- Leads all Foundation appeals and publication efforts including design, content, mailing, and reporting. Adheres to best practices and processes to assure smooth production and execution of communication projects.
- Sets the Foundation’s brand identity guidelines and internal and external compliance standards. Educates the staff on expectations for messaging the brand and monitors compliance.
- Assists the Digital Outreach Coordinator with creating a communications calendar that aligns with the annual plan for outreach and development.
- Reviews, edits, and writes and wide range of content that supports the Foundation’s internal and external communications and outreach across multiple platforms.
- Assists with grant writing and submissions. Accountable for operationalizing and reporting for funded projects.
- Works in collaboration with the CEO to create an annual development plan with fundraising strategies, programs and events. Analyzes and reports on all development activities with a focus on growth, opportunities, and potential weaknesses.
- Participates in the development of the Foundation’s annual operating budget and ensures revenue and expenses are accurately coded and recorded.
- Establishes processes and controls for tracking progress toward goals and meeting targets for annual appeals, major gifts, corporation and foundation support, planned giving, special events and new programs.
The LAM Foundation Benefits:
- Salary: $80,000 – $110,000 depending on experience
- Comprehensive health insurance plan (medical, dental and vision)
- Simple IRA for Employee Savings (includes a matching program)
- Nine Paid Holidays
- Term Life Insurance
- Personal Time Off
- Paid Membership to the Blue Ash Recreation Center
- Flexibility – Remote Work Options
Founded in 1995 in Cincinnati, Ohio, as a grassroots effort, The LAM Foundation has evolved into an organization described by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) as “a model for voluntary health agencies.” The Foundation has provided a mechanism to organize and focus the LAM community to facilitate patient support, informed clinical care, scientific interchange, and research.
How to Apply:
Kristan McIntosh and Jessica Multhauf from ALINITI are leading the search. Inquires, nominations, and applications (including a resume and letter of interest) should be directed electronically to these emails:
Kristan McIntosh: email@example.com
Jessica Multhauf: firstname.lastname@example.org