Job Summary: Job ID: 6464 – Unclassified – FT
The Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, Alumni Groups, will work within a collaborative office environment and will be responsible for planning and implementing alumni engagement initiatives designed to foster lifelong connections between alumni and the university, with particular responsibilities for diversity and inclusion initiatives around Miami’s multicultural and historically underrepresented alumni groups.
This position reports to the Director of Alumni Communities and works with the alumni groups team to frame the alumni experience for affinity groups and establish annual program priorities. The major components of this position are to manage groups on a day-to-day basis; produce inclusive alumni events with diversity-related content, both on and off campus; provide support and guidance to a portfolio of assigned alumni groups.
The ideal candidate will be energetic and innovative, will have excellent communication skills and will be able to handle multiple projects. She or he will have many opportunities to collaborate with talented people and build relationships both across campus and within the division of University Advancement and will have the ability to work with varied personalities and work styles.
- Bachelor’s degree and one to three years of work experience, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience in a non-profit or higher education setting. Internships, volunteer work, and other experience gained during the completion of a degree program may be counted towards this requirement.
- High level of cultural competence, including experience working cross-culturally, a sensitivity to the dynamics of difference, an inclusive approach to customer service, and comfort with building awareness of diverse individuals and groups.
- Organized and task-oriented with demonstrated problem-solving skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously while remaining calm, focused and productive during extremely busy periods of time.
- Ability to work collaboratively with various constituency groups, volunteers, and campus partners.
- Strong communicator with excellent written, verbal, and social media skills. Will have an eye on the current digital environment and an interest in or experience with social media marketing trends.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to customer service.
- Serves as staff liaison to Miami’s affinity alumni groups, with particular emphasis on multicultural and historically underrepresented populations, by organizing meetings and conference calls, activities, events and logistics.
- Coordinates with advancement colleagues and campus partners to provide infrastructure, support and guidance for multicultural and historically underrepresented alumni groups.
- Represents the Miami University Alumni Association at programs and events as necessary, including events on campus and away from campus (regional and national travel).
- Identifies and trains new volunteer leaders; forms new advisory groups; stewards existing groups and volunteer leaders.
- Partners with development staff to coordinate and strengthen alumni groups and affinity based fundraising.
- Utilizes social media to further and/or build relationships with both established and new alumni groups, coordinating with divisional and university social media efforts.
- Plan, forecast, monitor and maintain annual budgets for multicultural and historically underrepresented alumni groups.
The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices.
Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.