The Air Force Museum Foundation (AFMF) is a 501c3 corporation that raises philanthropic support to assist in the development and expansion of the facilities of the National Museum of the U.S. Air ForceTM (NMUSAF) and provides annual funding to the Museum for special projects, exhibits, museum programs and special events, volunteer support, and promotional efforts. The NMUSAF is the world’s oldest and largest military aviation museum. The main museum complex, comprised of 1,000,000 square feet under roof, is open to the public.
The AFMF was founded in 1960. The AFMF mission is to raise funds and awareness in support of the National Museum of the United States Air Force mission. To date the AFMF has raised philanthropic support from donors to fund 94% of all capital construction costs for the main museum complex.
- The Entrance Hall Manager (EHM) will manage and grow all aspects of the AFMF Entrance Hall (EH) business.
- In 2020, the AFMF collaborated with the NMUSAF to establish a new AFMF line of business focused on the visitor entry experience at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. AFMF employees now greet all visitors as they enter the museum.
- The EHM leads this team of highly motivated Donor Experience Associates (DEA) to provide exceptional visitor/customer service experiences to visitors.
- As the EH team helps visitors plan an exceptional visit at the Museum, they secure on-site donors/donations and conduct other transactions. The team collaborates with NMUSAF and AFMF business leads to promote a variety of visitor experiences, from Museum exhibits and events to AFMF Attractions, AFMF Museum Store, AFMF Café(s), and AFMF Events.
- The Entrance Hall Manager is part of the AFMF Development Team and works under the direct supervision of the Annual Giving Officer (AGO). The EHM supervises the part-time Donor Experience Associates. This position is full-time, hourly, non-exempt.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The EHM will manage and substantially grow the EH business as follows:
- In conjunction with the AGO and Chief Development Officer (CDO) develop an EH strategic plan, objectives, annual goals, and financial plan(s).
- Utilize industry best practices and methodologies for museums, national/regional attractions, and philanthropic organizations to develop and execute a nationally recognized visitor-centric entrance experience.
- Manage and substantially grow the on-site annual donors/donations portion of the AFMF Annual Giving program via the acquisition, retention and upgrade of on-site donors/donations to generate financial support for short-, medium-, and long-term Museum and Foundation funding priorities.
- Monitor EH business performance via weekly, monthly, quarterly financial reports for articulated KPIs. Work closely with Database Manager, AGO, NMUSAF, other AFMF Business Units to ensure accuracy/fidelity of all reporting.
- This is a public facing role – the EHM must be well presented, confident and diplomatic.
- Staff in the EH are ambassadors for the NMUSAF and, as such, will engage all visitors professionally and enthusiastically according to AFMF standards.
- Provide outstanding customer service in the EH to museum visitors by creating a friendly, welcoming and informative environment for all museum guests.
- Cultivate knowledge of museum operations, history, exhibits, events and Friends Program activities to provide accurate information to museum visitors.
- Help establish protocols and best practices for effectively communicating with visitors.
- Be positioned to provide local area knowledge to inform museum visitors of surrounding area amenities, including special events, local activities and National Aviation Heritage Association sites/organizations.
- Responsible for setting performance expectations, conducting performance reviews and, when necessary, managing performance/behavior issues with AGO, CDO, and AFMF HR.
- Responsible for the EH team to reach, and when possible exceed, defined performance metrics for the EH business.
- Responsible for hiring DEA staff throughout the year – to include ramp up staffing for peak visitor seasons.
- Responsible for all on-boarding and on-going training for EH staff and NMUSAF volunteers serving in the EH.
- Manage scheduling for DEAs and select NMUSAF volunteers serving in the EH.
- Manage scheduling for DEAs to complete assigned “back office” tasks to support Development colleagues.
- Build effective working relationships with AFMF and NMUSAF colleagues to support visitor-centric activities that take place in the Entrance Hall.
- Ensure on-going communication and collaboration with AFMF Director, Food Service & Facilities and, NMUSAF Operations staff, regarding current and future Entrance Hall facility needs.
- Ensure the EH staff are conducting visitor services duties and transactions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ensure the EH staff is accurately performing opening and closing duties in accordance with established Operating Instructions.
- Develop and execute new policies and procedures as needed to improve EH business performance.
- Ensure all daily financial opening/closing processes are followed.
- Monitor the accurate & timely processing and dissemination of P/L reports on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Responsible for replenishing all materials distributed to visitors (maps, styluses, temporary exhibit materials, etc.) and maintaining workstation supplies and desk appearance to be visitor ready at all times.
- Responsible for replenishing all cleaning supplies utilized in the EH.
- Responsible for EH signage.
- Collaborate with NMUSAF and AFMF colleagues to insure seasonal and exhibit based décor is in place in the EH.
- Responsible for managing the maintenance and acquisition of all AFMF furniture, computer hardware, computer software, display screens, telephones, walkie-talkies, etc. in the EH, per AFMF and NMUSAF policies and procedures.
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Stand for prolonged periods of time or for an entire work shift.
Background, Skills and Aptitude:
- 3-5 years’ experience in one or more of the following – retail business operations, national or regional museum visitor services, national or regional attraction visitor services, museum membership/philanthropic donor programs.
- Excellent customer service skills, attention to detail, and ability to problem solve.
- Excellent people management skills, including the ability to influence a wide range of audiences and motivate both individuals and teams to achieve results.
- Demonstrated aptitude to learn, use and apply customer service sales and philanthropic donation techniques in a visitor-centric environment.
- Must be productive and approachable while working in a public space.
- Must possess a desire to work with the public.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Proficiency in data entry and financial reporting in a PC environment and knowledge of Square POS system, Raiser’s Edge NXT, and Microsoft Office systems is a plus.
- Ability to perform above expectations in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Adherence to strict confidentiality of donor-related information, as well as all gift information files, documents, and reports.
- The Air Force Museum Foundation performs background checks on 100% of its employees prior to hiring. Candidate must be willing to submit to a background check.
- The National Museum of the United States Air Force® is open seven (7) days a week, from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, and on select evenings for special events. Candidate must be available to work irregular hours including weekends, evenings, and holidays on a regular basis.
- The Air Force Museum Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Salary Range: $40,000 – $45,000
To apply for this position, please email Ms. Sarah Shatzkin at email@example.com with your resume, cover letter, and references.